5/14/2007

Feeling somewhat perturbed...

I was a little bit upset to read the following anonymous comment on a recent post about going home: "Great - you're taking a child away from his father so you can be happy? Not to sound rude, but unless you're husband is abusive or has cheated on you, I think that you are being a little selfish. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have goals, but don't rush to get married and pop out kids if you plan on up and leaving. If this post sounds rude, I apologize. Just don't post stuff for the world to see, and not expect friendly comments. Hopefully your son will have a lot of contact with his father in the future (unless you are leaving for a reason other than simply wanting to be in London)." I have to admit that despite writing a public blog I have never had anyone post something so critical and judgemental randomly. Obviously I don`t expect everyone to agree with me/ like me/ tell me I am wonderful all the time but I was kind of shocked that someone could make a drive-by comment like that without actually reading my blog/ knowing what I am about. I know I haven`t made my plans clear with regards to going home but that is because it is a delicate subject and I guess there is a part of me that feels if I blog too much about it, something will go wrong. I know there is alot to think about but it isn`t a decision I made likely and in the long term, it will be the best for our family, even if Joey has to spend a few months away from his father. My husband agrees with me on this and is 100% supportive of the plan. I think the thing that annoyed me most about the comment is the assumptions about me and my character. I DID NOT rush into getting married, it was something I had to fight against family disapproval to do and not a decision I entered into lightly. I take offence to that idea that I "popped out" my son without thinking. He might have been unplanned but he is very loved and every decision I make is made with his welfare in mind. I am not going to London "just so I can be happy." I am going to London because I believe that my whole family (that being the 3 of us) will be able to have better quality of life and be happier there in the long term. The problem is that I might fail. I might not be able to find a job, the dream might not work out and then we would be completely stuck as it would be impossible for my husband to get back into the Japanese school system once he has resigned. That is why we will be apart until we can be sure of our financial security in London. It isn`t the best situation but it is one that many Japanese people face all the time because of the system of people being transferred all over the country with their jobs. The other thing that got to me (apart from the fact that the comment was anonymous, which maybe bugs me most of all!!) is the complete judgement without knowing anything about my family life. I am also assuming that the person who made the comment has never been a foreign wife and had to deal with the things we have to deal with. Yes, it can be good but I am pretty sure that every foreign wife who reads my blog would jump at the chance to do what I am doing if they thought it might work out in the long run. (Although maybe more of you guys would try and take your husbands with you from the beginning.. however, I figure you all understand where I am coming from.) I am not sure why the comment threw me into such emotional turmoil but it did. Before I finish this post, I would like to clarify that the long-term plan is for D to join us once we are settled. In the mean time he will make a trip over at some point. It isn`t the best situation but it is the only way we can see it working for us as a family. I am sorry if that can be perceived as odd/ selfish.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry someone felt the need to express their comment without all the information.

I never thought of it as taking a child away from his father, rather a temporary situation in which they would be apart. Would the same judgment hold if your husband was going ahead for work???

Anonymous said...

Hi Midori

Sorry I don't post comments regularly but I do read your blog often and just want to support you with your decision. It's always harsh when people make judgements without full information. Life is short and to live without regret is a great philosophy...were you never to try to achieve your dream then you may be left always wondering 'what if'? I applaud you for taking the courage to take the first step and wish you all the best.

Fiona

Anonymous said...

Taking advantage of a brief reprieve from censorship to tell you that you don't need to apologize for this. I think you are doing everything you can to consider Joey's welfare and that of your family. Lots of families (and particularly international ones) have no choice but to be apart at times as they work out jobs, lifestyles, etc.

Who knows why "anonymous" made his/her comment--perhaps he/she is bitter about something in the past. It's one thing to ask questions, but it's another to sound so judgmental without having all the information.

You've thought long and hard about this, try not to second guess yourself now. It takes courage to do what you're doing.

Tigermama said...

I too support you in your decision. In the end, you will all be happier. Isn`t that what`s best for your family?

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

Midori - that is just awful. If "Anonymous" had paid attention to what you had written they would know that this is a hard decision for you and a negative comment is the last thing you need.

It's so hard to raise kids and live in a different country. We should be supporting one another instead of pulling each other down.

Perogyo said...

Drive-by commenting like that is the ultimate act of cowardice. What a jerk!

Granny said...

I didn't know what your plans were when I first read that post (probably I should have read back a little ways).

It doesn't matter whether I understood why you were doing it. It was your family's decision to make. Anyone not in your position should either support you or keep their big mouths shut.

I guess you know where I stand. Now that I know the background, it makes all kinds of good sense.

Gina said...

Well, you know, you got my 100% support, as always. You are giving it a shot. You know what it entails. Your decision to move, was not made half heartedly either. I agree with what a few others mentioned as well. And that is, we, especially those of us in the "foreign wives" community, we should be supporting each other, in every way we can. Versus trying to tear each other down and picking each other apart! It's very sad you got a comment like that!

Anonymous said...

It really doesn't matter what this annonymous writer has to say about your decision and your family. Why let you bother you at all? Don't let people like this exert any kind of power over you. They can't, only you can make yourself feel bad or guilty , etc. Next time you receive such a negative, uninformed comment, don't even bother to read thru it, ok? Cheer up :)

Sherry said...

Sounds to me like they have issues of their own that they should be dealing with instead of posting critical remarks on other people's blogs and then claiming they are trying to be helpful or friendly or whatever it is they think. You know what you are doing and the people who are important in your life know what you are doing, so screw what anyone else thinks, especially someone who is too cowardly to own their words.

coarse gold girl said...

I just wanted to post and say that although I rarely comment on your blog (unlike annymous, I have a hard time usually commenting on someone's blog "cold" without any kind of introduction, cyber or otherwise, having taken place) I have always enjoyed reading it. Your love for your son and your husband, your dedication to your family and your struggle to secure a happy future for all three of you has always come across very clearly to me! I too, did not understand the background or context in which your decision to go look for work in England was made but the assumptions that your drive by blog commentator made NEVER entered my mind!

Consider the drive by post a good introduction in "what comments are best left unread"? ? ?

Anyway, my DH's family lives in Kagoshima so I have always really enjoyed the window into Kyushyu life your blog has given me!

Hope today finds you feeling better and the memory of annoymous's comments are already fading!

*Tanyetta* said...

first of all the anonymous commenter wrote this:

but unless you're husband is abusive
newsflash to the anonymous person----
it's YOUR husband and not you're! :)

new thought:

geez, why in the world would someone be so hurtful and rude to you on your blog. my goodness. what in the world is going on?

i'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry this happened to you. well, that person has NO idea of your heart and what you're all about. so fooey to them!

hugs to you and your family.

as long as your husband and your family supports your decisions, you're in a good place! :)