6/25/2007

All sorted and good to go!!

I am happy to announce that I went with my gut and accepted the PA job. I am hoping it will be as exciting and busy as I am hoping it will be, but if not, I can always look for another job. The past couple of weeks have given me alot of confidence in myself and I know now that I shouldn't under-sell my abilities and that I should believe in myself a bit more. I was in a bit of a panic after I accepted the job though because they want me to start on Friday (29th June) and I hadn't found a daycare place for Joey yet. However, on friday morning I went to check out one of the places that has space and I was very impressed with the place. I loved the fact that the children were energetic and seemed to be enjoying themselves because at the other place I checked out, all the kids looked spaced out and bored. I also liked the vibe of the whole place so I am hoping he will settle in quickly and be happy there. I found myself thinking about things like ethnic diversity, things that would never have been an issue in Japan because there is no diversity. It will be good for Joey to be in a class with kids from all sorts of backgrounds. My other concern was that although he has always understood English, his Japanese was much stronger. This has changed in the past couple of weeks and his English is getting stronger but there are still some things that he continues to express in Japanese. I was worried that the teachers might not understand him but they said that they often deal with kids who don't have English as their first language and they ask parents to leave keywords with them to help them understand the kids better. This put my mind at rest. The daycare has a huge garden with a climbing frame and slide and they also have special sensory and soft playrooms so he will have lots of variety. AND the best thing is that it is one of the cheapest ones that I have found in my search so that makes me very happy!! It is close to the station so my Dad can drop Joey and I off there on his way to work and I can settle Joey and go and get my train without any problems. Everything is falling into place. I am going to pay the deposit/ register Joey tomorrow and then I am going to meet a friend from University at the Tate Gallery. She has an 11 month old son so I am looking forward to hearing her perspective on being a parent in London. Tuesday/Wednesday/ Thursday will be settling in days for Joey at daycare but I am hoping we will also get to do some fun stuff together. I didn't expect to find a job and to have everything in motion this quickly so it is all a bit of a shock to my system. However, it has proven to me once again that I definitely made the right decision when I decided to come back! Last Thursday I went on a mission to find some new work clothes and found some really pretty summer things. I am now pretty much set for smart things so I am hoping the weather will improve and I will actually get to wear them! I bought a really pretty dress, now all I need is the right occasion to wear it to! Joey is doing fine in general and is so much in love with my parents that I am feeling a bit redundant!! He has also stopped napping every day, but I figure that daycare will wear him out so completely that he will either go back to napping or he will be in bed very early every night! I am really hoping he likes it as much as I think he will, otherwise I will be a bit stuck! He is a sociable kid though so I am sure he will love having lots of buddies to play with every day. I am looking forward to seeing him grow and change in the same way he did when he started part-time daycare last year. Fingers crossed he will be ok, but he seems to have adapted to the big move very quickly so I am pretty sure he will be just fine.

9 comments:

Granny said...

Congratulations. I'm so glad everything is falling into place for you.

Gina said...

Congratulations from me too! : ) Seems everything is going really well for you and Joey. Joey will do wonderful in daycare, like you said, he's a socialable little guy, also just by watching him grow up via this blog, you can tell, he's so happy and good natured, we all can see it! He will have hundreds of little buddies in no time! And yay on the new clothes! Ha ha ha! : )

Tigermama said...

I`m so glad everything is going so well! It`s obvious you made the right choice. Keep us posted!

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

Congratulations! I'm sure things are going smooth because you're in your home country, too. Just recently I had some frustrating Japan days and it is making me long to go home for a visit.

I'm sure things will go well for you but I'll be sending some "everything will go fabulous" vibes to you.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!!

a happier girl said...

Sounds like things are coming together like you'd hoped. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

You are really in the groove! Things are going to work out great. I'm sure of it!

Claire said...

It's great to read your confident posts from London. I've always wondered if it would be possible to survive with young children back in the UK by using Japanese skills - you're the living proof that it is! Congratulations!

Midori said...

Well I haven't actually starting working yet so who knows if we will all survive the experience! ;-) Signs are good at the moment though as Joey had a great time at daycare yesterday. Hopefully today will go well as well!