4/18/2007

Already got the lurgy!

Joey managed to catch my cold from last week so over the weekend he was a bit of a snot bucket but on monday it got really bad and he had a nad cough as well. As I always worry about colds going to his chest and him wheezing alot, I took him to the doctor yesterday morning and the good news is that his chest was clear (touch wood) but he had a serious amount of snot! They used some kind of snot-sucking contraption and took out about half a cup of gunge and he seems to be alot better since!! He still has a bit of a runny nose but nothing like yesterday morning!!! I have never seen one of these machines at home. Do they only have them in Japan?? I never thought I would appreciate something like that but as Joey`s cold now seems to be on the mend, I guess I am glad I took him to the doctor!! We have to go back this afternoon because he needs to get a shot for Measles and Rubella. I should have had it done sooner but I was debating whether to have him vaccinated or not. My husband leaves all the decisions about that kind of stuff up to me and it is my responsibility to get it done. It has to be done before Joey`s 2nd birthday or I have to pay for it myself so we are heading in this afternoon. I am concerned that he has a cold so his immune system is down a bit but I guess the doctor knows best and they said that as long as he doesn`t have a fever, it is ok! I was also worried that if I had him vaccinated in Japan, he wouldn`t be able to get the booster in the UK but the doctor said that the booster isn`t necessary until he is about 6 years old so I don`t have to worry too much about that for the moment. We also have to get his DTP booster done before we leave so it is going to be a busy 7 weeks for Joey vaccination-wise!!!

4 comments:

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

Did your doctor shoot air in his nose? I think it has some sort of medicine in it but my daughters hate that part. My oldest gets ear infections easily so we go and do that whole thing pretty often. Now that she's 6, she will finally sit still and not cry through the whole thing which makes my life easier!

I find taking the kids for their vaccinations to be such a headache here. So much waiting and indifference from nurses and doctors. I am so far behind now that my husband has decided to get involved. I'm secretly happy because I hate doing this stuff by myself.

Anonymous said...

aww sorry to read Joey is not feeling well!

They will not honour the shots in Britain?!?! We had to give extra when we moved to the US but as far as I know they will honour all that we gave here when we go back ... eeeps I hope!

Trisha said...

Never seen or heard of the snot sucking contraption, but hey whatever works!

Gina said...

I've never heard of the snot sucking thing either. It sounds cool Midori, I think it sounds helpful, better then letting the snots just build up in the kids lungs and stuff. : )

Poor Joey for getting all those shots this week. He'll be getting extra cuddles I'm sure! Poor kiddo! : )