4/16/2007

Weaning and potty training...

Joey is having a big week, not only is he turning two on sunday but last week I slowly started suggesting he say "bai bai" to "pai pai" (as we call boob) and on friday he waved goodbye and hasn`t come asking since. I am a bit traumatised by the sudden change and his complete acceptance (so far) of the new adjustment. I thought I was going to have to fight him tooth and nail (and was even thinking of Plan B in that I was going to stick plasters over my boobs so that he would think I was in pain) but I guess what they say is true, when kids are ready, they just stop without too much hassle. Obviously it has only been 3 days and although he was a big clingy yesterday, there has been no digging under my shirt for gold or tantrum throwing because I won`t give up the good! He sometimes comes for a snuggle and will feel me up a bit but then stops and waves happily saying "bai bai to pai pai". It is all quite cute really. I am worried that he is going to pick up all sorts of bugs without the extra immunity that breast milk offers and I am also worried about what I will do when he is sick and I can`t comfort him that way but I guess that it is another milestone that we have to go through!!! I guess my main worry is that we have a flight booked and we can`t cancel it, even if he does get sick. Everyone has to send "keep Joey healthy" vibes our way!!! Another milestone that he has been making big progress with is potty training. He has been pee-ing in the potty at daycare quite regularly and has started coming to me to tell me what is going on "down there". I am happy because until recently, he has shown little awareness of the whole thing and would quite happily sit in horribly wet pants without complaint. (As I discovered when I put him in cloth training pants and had to wash ALL his clothes afterwards because he just soaked through and didn`t notice!!) Yesterday he told me "poo poo" and then proceeded to do one before I could take him to the toilet but I figure that is progress!! He also brings me nappies and says "pee-pee" when his nappy is wet so I figure I have a good base to work with! I figure that when it warms up, I will put him in cloth training pants as then there will be less places to dirty (I will put the rugs away) and it won`t matter if he gets wet. For the time being though I will continue taking him to the toilet lots in the hope that he gets the hint! ;-) On a separate note, planning is progressing for his birthday party. I ordered some stuff from Costco (chocolates, Guacamole, Pizza) and now all I have to worry about is his cake and the logistics of the whole thing!! I figure I will make a pass the parcel and I was also thinking of making chocolates and letting the kids decorate them. But that could get messy so we shall just see how it goes!! Any ideas for party activities for kdis aged between 2 and 10 that don`t need much space and won`t create too much mess?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending "keep Joey healthy" vibes!!

hehe!

Congrats on the weaning and the progress on the potty training. I found Becca really came into herself when she turned two if that makes any sense.

I am at a loss for party ideas. Becca's b-day is in July so far we have had the party outside, swimming and the like :)

Gina said...

Oh my lord, I love this line from your post! "there has been no digging under my shirt for gold"
I think, I nearly spewed my coffee all over myself over that one! Ha ha ha!

I am enjoying reading your posts because Noah is 3 or 4 month's younger then Joey, so reading your blog makes me get prepared for what awaits me, this coming July! So thanks! Sounds like Joey was a complete star with the weaning! Branden was easy too. I hope Noah will be weaned by July, when he hits age 2 as well. Also, sounds like the potty training is going well too! : )

Midori said...

You know Gina, I didn`t realise you were still BF-ing as well! i guess because you never mention it, I figured you had quit ages ago!! Good to know I am not alone! ;-)

Tigermama said...

Ahhh the milestones! :)

I have a suggestion for your party. I just organized a childs "build your own icecream sundae" event for a birthday party this past Saturday and it was a HUGE success. The kids were from 2-9 and all of them had a great time. You just dish up vanilla icecream for each kid and then let them go to town on the toppings. We had fresh strawberries, mandarin oranges, sparkles, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, sprinkles of various colours, nuts, mini MnM`s, mini cookies, whip cream, and cherries for the top. It sounds like a recipe for disaster but kids really are good at doing it themselves and none of them overdid it or made a huge mess. It was interesting to see the variations in each sundae as well.

The Japanese kids especially enjoyed this as they had never done anything like it before.

Good luck and Happy Birthday to Joey!

Granny said...

I keep the parties quite simple but I've never worried much about the mess. Kids are washable as are their clothes.

A big Happy Birthday to your big boy.