4/23/2007

Facebook.. my latest addiction..

A while ago I posted that I was going to get back in touch with real life and re-establish e-mail relationships with all the people I have been neglecting over the past couple of years. I have really been enjoying my re-discovered passion for writing to people and it has been nice to catch up. In the middle of all this, someone introduced me to facebook and I can`t stop looking at it now!!! It is really intriguing to catch up with loads of people I went to university/ school with but I have been pondering lately why I love it quite as much as I do. I think one reason is that I would have stayed in touch with more people had the internet been as advanced in 1996 when I left school as it is now. In those days you really had to work hard to keep in touch with people through letters and phone calls, these days is it much easier as all you have to do is send e-mails. There is also a big part of me that loves seeing what everyone is up to/ what kind of people they became. It is reassuring to see that the guy I was totally obsessed with when I was 15 isn`t someone I would look at twice these days. It makes me feel better to see that the sex-god I couldn`t stop thinking about when I was 13 is still pretty sexy but balding just a little bit and therefore completely human. It is nice to see the geeky people who were my saviour at school doing really well for themselves. Does any of that make sense? It is also fabulous to touch base with people who know me as me, rather than Joey`s Mum or Daisuke`s wife. The people who remember me in my less sensible days before everyday stuff started to drag me down and I worried less and drank more wine and had stuff to talk about other than weaning and nappies!! (although I am not sure which conversations were more worthwhile! LOL!) Either way, I am enjoying checking it out and I know it is super-geeky but I don`t care.. PS= Despite later crushes going down hill as they got older, the first boy I ever had a crush on is JUST as hot as he was when I was 11.... if not more so!!! LOL!

4 comments:

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

I totally know what you mean. My 15-year high school reunion is this summer and all of my classmates have been re-connecting via e-mail. Our reunion coordinator asked that we attach pictures and a short bio of the last 15 years. Some amazing (read scary) stories in there.

I was also relieved to see that the guy I dated my senior year does not look as fabulous as I remembered and therefore I can stop being embaressed about the fact that he dumped me. TWICE! Yes, I was an idiot and took him back after he broke my heart the first time.

I don't often ponder the memories that were made in those four short years but when I do, most of them of are some embaressing thing I did or said. Maybe it's best not to ponder!

Anonymous said...

Cool that you are reconnecting with your friends!

Lily said...

FAncy you mention "facebook". Just acouple of days ago my sister invited me to join. I did, and have been getting many invites to join since then BUT I have no idea how it works. I just registered without thinking. I have a hard time logging in too.

Maybe I should look more carefully at it now that you mention how interesting it is.

*Tanyetta* said...

i LOOOOOVE your new layout! i'm afraid to check out facebook. i get easily addicted to things. haha..